Two months ago Elisabeth Andree of About Crochet set a challenge for 20 crocheters to create an item (scarf, shawl, fingerless gloves, mittens, or cushion cover) using 3 stitch patterns or a combination of the 3.
I blogged about my first attempt here. This is a close up:
The pattern is called 'Chain Single-Crochet', the details are here.
When I was trying patterns and yarns out I drove myself mad with different colour combinations, and threw far too many in! The pattern created by the stitch pattern I used was fascinating, and I'm sure could be used to create some brilliant colour effect.
I decided to make something that I could use... and in the end
the design for a cushion cover emerged.. plain, simple,
a little feminine maybe...
Two colours - Grey and flecked cream.
My cushion cover measures 40 x 40cm and has a concealed
slit opening a the back, fastened by crocheted bows....
The yarn I used for the body of the cushion is a wool,
acrylic and fine alpaca mix. The cream for the embellishments
is an oddment from my stash, probably an alpaca/silk mix.
Both are aran weight.
I used a size 6 (UK) crochet hook . The yarn suggested
size 5 - 5.5 (UK) but I wanted a softer, looser fabric.
The body of the cushion cover and all the embellishments
are made entirely using Chain Single Crochet (ch.sc), and is
'variation 1' of the 3 that Elisabeth gave us.
- I cast on 57 base chain and just continued until the main piece measured 40cm.
- I then began 2 pieces for the back in the same way, continuing one until it measured 34cm and the other for 12cm. This allowed for a 2cm overlap when the 2 pieces were sewn together.
- Before assembling the cover, I crocheted 1 row of ch. sc all around the edges of the 3 pieces. This gave me a more uniform edge to sew.
- Sliding the 2 back pieces over each other - the largest over the smallest, I pinned them when they measured 40cm. With wrong sides together I used over-sewing to sew the 2 sides together.
- To form the 3 bows - 2 small for the back, and 1 larger to embellish the front, I cast on base rows of 50 x 2, (100 for the larger) chain and crochet 1 row of ch.sc.
- The 'ribbon' for the front edge of the cushion was made in the same way but I cast on 250 base chain.
- To fasten the back of the cover, there was no need to create button holes as the woven effect of the main stitch forms many holes. I selected an appropriate position for the bows and threaded them through.
- Finally I threaded the longest 'ribbon' in and out around the front edge of the cover and stitched it in place.
- I formed a bow with the last 'ribbon' and attached it to the top right corner with a few stitches.